Listen to this article

LUDLOW — Fire caused an estimated $15,000 damage to a rural Ludlow home Tuesday afternoon.

Ludlow Fire Chief Dave Ingleman said Carl Martin, owner of the two-story frame home, was on the property when he heard a noise in the basement, and he noticed smoke.

Ingleman said smoke began rolling out the basement windows and filling the house.

He said most of the damage was from smoke and water, and much of it was confined to the basement area.

"We had to get into some walls and hose them down. It ran up some interior walls," Ingleman said.

The fire call was received about 5:30 p.m.

Paxton firefighters responded via mutual aid. Ingleman said about 15 Ludlow firefighters and 12 Paxton firefighters were on the scene for about two hours. The Savoy Fire Department furnished an air trailer to refill air tanks.

No injuries reported, and no adjacent property was damaged.

The home, which had someone living in it until recently but was unoccupied at the time, is located at County Road 1646E 3500N, about 1 mile west of Ludlow.