PAXTON — Organizers of the eighth annual Paxton Swine ‘N’ Dine BBQ Contest & Festival were expected to announce who would be headlining the festival’s free concert during Tuesday’s annual meeting of the Paxton Area Chamber of Commerce.
But festival-goers will have to continue to wait.
“Our initial act (we had in mind) had to cancel, so we had to find another act,” said Alan Meyer, the newly elected president of the chamber, which is sponsoring the popular fall festival scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 21.
Meyer said the replacement musical act will be announced May 20 on the festival’s Facebook page, which will offer hints about their identity as that date approaches.
Meyer was tight-lipped Thursday about who would be performing, but he did say he is sure people “will enjoy it” and that “they’ll be surprised,” just as festival organizers were, “that this act was available to come (to Paxton) on that (September) weekend.”
Last year, the festival’s concert was headlined by country music star Dylan Scott, who attracted a crowd estimated to be around 3,000 to 4,000 people as he performed on a stage set up in front of City Hall on downtown’s Market Street.
The all-day festival not only includes a series of live concerts but also a wide variety of food and beverage vendors, a cornhole tournament, children’s activities and, of course, the barbecue cookoff.